Join the Tolleson Team
Tolleson is looking for a strategic writer to join our team. This person will work closely with the strategy team, and engage collaboratively with design and account management on projects for both Tolleson and its clients — balancing business goals with brand aspirations. This position requires an exceptional writing acumen (for a wide range of tone, audiences, and applications), strong creative and strategic thinking, and solid research skills. In addition to demonstrating a proven knack for writing, this person should also have the ability to:
- handle tight deadlines and quick turnaround times
- receive and give constructive feedback
- keep an open mind, but also make reasoned, insight-driven arguments
- self-motivate and take initiative with little direction
- embrace opportunity, no matter how big or small the task
- stay curious, keep learning and appreciate the journey as much as the end result
This position requires an ability to apply your writing skills to different disciplines and deliverables. In this position you will:
- bring structure and coherence to brand messaging, positioning, and expression
- communicate complex ideas with clarity, simplicity, and feeling
- write long-form brand narratives and concise copy for both internal and client projects
- develop content applicable for brand applications across all media types, including digital, print, business systems , and video
- conduct and synthesize industry research and interviews with a journalistic approach
- assist with strategy and writing for client presentations, case studies and thought leadership pieces
- participate in new business and marketing efforts to help communicate Tolleson’s core values, capabilities, and differentiation
While every project is unique, you should have professional experience and a proven track record delivering on some or all of the following:
- messaging and positioning strategy
- brand narratives, taglines and guidelines
- tone & voice principles
- persona research and development
- digital content strategy & writing (including SEO/SEM-driven content)
- general copywriting and editing
- general strategic thinking, frameworking, and presentation-building
- campaign concepts and copywriting
- video concepts and scripts
- internal marketing and thought leadership content
We are looking for good people who want to do great work. Industry experience is preferred with the following qualities:
- you’re a proven and versatile writer that has an effortless command of language and storytelling
- you’re a good listener who can separate the signal from the noise
- you can distill complex ideas into crisp prose, as well as take simple thoughts and spin them into long-form narrative journeys
- you have a basic understanding of how businesses operate and compete, and can craft messaging aligned with business goals
- you can write in a brand’s own tone and voice or can create a new one appropriate to its business and industry
- you can generate new ideas as well as make other ideas better
Tolleson is a full-service, independent creative agency based in the Bay Area. For over 30 years, we’ve been in the business of creating, maintaining and evolving brands. We work with clients big and small across a wide range of industries.
At Tolleson, we’re driven by the belief that the best work is rooted in clear thinking and rich storytelling —culminating in brand experiences that resonate on a deeply personal level. At heart, we’re astute listeners and creative problem-solvers, able to make sense of complexity and take stock of possibilities. No matter the discipline, we deliver the highest quality creative thinking and visual executions at every stage of a project.
When you work at Tolleson, you’ll join a team of people who love what they do and who they work with. We take our work seriously, but always keep the mood light. In addition to nurturing a spirited and supportive environment, we offer a great benefits package and competitive pay.
California-Based Opportunity – Currently remote with future hybrid work mode.
To apply, please send us an email email@example.com with your resume and three writing samples, ideally showcasing variety in form, length, and application. Digital portfolios are welcome, though not required.